Data is a crucial element for any user at personal or organizational level and its loss can deteriorate work flow badly. There are several chances of losing these important data files stored in electronic medium due to corruption or deletion. Any accidental deletion which is commonly faced by users can lead to severe data loss and it is quite difficult to restore permanently deleted files from hard drive. The section below will discuss about types of deletion and possible methods to recover lost & missing data from the Windows hard drive.
How Is Data Deletion Categorized?
Deletion can be categorized as Soft deletion and Hard deletion. The time when you delete any data files, it is actually not deleted and is just moved to Recycle Bin. This type of deletion is easily recoverable and one can restore deleted data files from the Recycle Bin to original location. If you delete any data file pressing SHIFT+DEL, the data will get deleted permanently. This permanent deletion on the other hand does not move deleted data to Recycle Bin and delete the data permanently directly. In fact the data which is moved to Recycle Bin also gets deleted permanently once the retention period is over. This type of deletion is also considered as Hard deletion which cannot be restored.
Search For Windows Files If Files Are Missing Not Deleted
It is possible that the data files are only missing from your system and are not deleted. So before proceeding further, you will have to make sure that the data you are looking for is actually deleted or not. It is possible that the data has been moved to another folder mistakenly. You can use the Search option of Windows system to find the location.
- Visit Start and Search tab.
- Type the name of file or any part of file name.
- If you are sure that the file was saved to specific drive then you can also go to search tab for that particular drive and search by name of the file.
- You can also utilize the search filter and modify the searching technique through various parameters like modification date and size.
- Auto-recovery files can be also checked which might be saved at non-default location. You can type *asd in file name and search.
- The file can also be searched as temporary file. For this, type *.tmp in file name and search.
- You can also try to find the name through there file format extension if you don’t remember its name. List of files belonging to this extension will be available in searches where you can try to find the file.
Perfect Mode to Recover Deleted Data Files
In case these primary steps are not working in your case and if you are sure that the data has been permanently deleted, you will have to take help of a third party utility like hard drive recovery software. This tool is capable to restore permanently deleted documents from Windows hard drive and helps you get back your data.